The cold weather is almost done and we are about to welcome another season. Nothing says “hello, spring!” more than doing a few tweaks to the look of your house to prepare you for this wonderful and lovely temperature. Here are ten things you can do to spring-ify (yes, that’s a word) your home:
1. Get rid of clutter. Now is the perfect time to audit your things and start spring-cleaning. Group your things into three: Keep, Giveaway/Sell, Throw. My personal principle is, if something has never been used for a year, I will never find a use for it ever. Another tip: don’t get yourself overwhelmed by looking at all your stuff and imagining yourself tackling every single piece in one day. Do one area at a time and have a break every now and then. You can also sell some of your discoveries in thrift shops. More breathing room for your space, extra points for the money that you will earn.
2. Paint your walls. One of the most inexpensive things you can do to change a space while bringing in the biggest impact, painting a room can also give out a new vibe to your place. You would want the transformation to result into a more airy and fresher room. This means light and pastel colors are most welcome during this time.
3. Hang wall art. To bring in more color to your space, hanging wall art is one of the great techniques. Wall gallery, decals, framed mirrors—the options are endless. Bright and happy colors are the suggested tones for this season. Or why don’t you bring in some greens and flowers through your wall decorations? You can also make your own by painting something abstract.
4. Reupholster a pair of chairs. Since we are on the topic of starting anew, experiment and change up the look of your chairs. Be adventurous and look for a fabric that you have never tried before. Be sure to dress your chair up according to the season—swirls or leaves or light colors will do.
5. Add big, framed mirror. The principle behind this is simple—mirror reflects light. More light, more airy vibe. The perfect formula to a fresh spring experience.
6. Add new large rug. Your rug sets the mood of your place. Changing yours up or adding one to your place can bring in a great impact to your room. Be wary and avoid dark colors. This can immediately suck up the light in your room. Having something too light, on the other, hand, may result to a rug that can easily get dirty. Find what suits your lifestyle the best. We suggest green, turquoise, or blue rugs for your room.
7. Add fresh cut flowers and greenery in colorful planter boxes. Spring means new life. Characterize this by bringing in living things in the form of cheerfully colored flowers and healthy-looking foliage of greens. Aside from enlivening up the room, it can also filter the air you breath.
8. Rearrange furniture. This is my favorite thing to do no matter what season we are in. For rearranging specifically catered to spring, make sure your arrangement brings in great flow of activities by studying the layout of your furniture. Proper space programming is the key here. You want to make sure that your arrangement will bring in the most light and the most air.
9. Update lighting with new lamps. Accessories play a great role in changing the look of your room.
10. Change heavy dark draperies to light and airy sheets. Put away your heavy wooly curtains and blankets, and bring out your fresh, light, airy sheets in happy, spring colors like yellow, blue, or green.
There are so many things you can do to change up the look of your room to say goodbye to winter and hello to spring. Just remember that the key here is to let in the sun and keep everything light. Spring is a very fresh season. Take advantage of it!
Contact me at Décoria Interior Designs. I’d love to help you create the home of your dreams. At Décoria Interior Designs, we approach every project with a discerning eye that is unwavering to the smallest detail. We believe in listening and working in close collaboration with clients to create a beautiful and luxurious space that is perfectly suited to their personality and lifestyle. Dècoria provides the utmost level of sophistication, exquisite quality and comfort. We are proud to serve our clients in the Washington DC metro area including Maryland and Virginia. You can contact us for more information at 301.430.0723